My drive to Chippewa Falls this morning was one of the best rides I’ve had in a very long time. There was an overwhelming and deep sense of fulfillment that came over me within a couple of minutes of pulling out of the driveway and continued through the entire drive. When I pulled into my destination I was hesitant to actually stop, I wanted to savor the moment as long as I could. Fortunately, I had training with my team right afterwards and the feeling has persisted all day long.
I’m not exactly sure what brought it on, but a few minutes into my drive I turned off my audiobook and enjoyed silence for a while and got lost in my thoughts. When it felt right I turned on some chill music and continued to soak in just how much there is in my life to be thankful for.
Amongst the things that came to mind and I focused on for a while were:
- How awesome it is to have the perfect music playing in the car while thinking and driving. I almost always end up finding the right tunes to set or enhance the mood.
- How blessed I am to be in such a wonderful marriage. We enjoy spending time with each other and doing the same types of things. We’re seemingly always busy, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. We’ve got a great combination of growing towards our long term dreams and goals while enjoying the moment.
- My boys are both great sons and amongst my best friends. I truly enjoy their company and appreciate the times we have together. It can be trying to attempt to walk the fine line between being a parent and a friend, but thanks to years of training from my parents I feel like it pretty close.
- How great is it to have such strong relationships with my mom and brother? We talk often, share our successes and challenges, and enjoy spending time together.
- Dad may not be physically with us anymore but I constantly hear his voice in my head and feel his spirit regularly. Our relationship has changed greatly, but I’m thankful that it is still there.
- Even on mornings like this one when I want to sleep in I enjoy running and being physical. I’m very grateful to have the physical ability to do things I enjoy.
- On the drive I had flashbacks and memories of several past vacations including Australia, New Zealand and Washington. The memory of Australia hit home with the beautiful fall colors that I experienced in my first autumn in May (which, incidentally, where all of these fall pictures came from). The rolling hills between Arcadia and Eau Claire reminded me of our time on the north island of New Zealand. Thinking about Becky and the boys reminded me of our trip to Washington. I’m so thankful for each of those memories made and I full of joy when they re-appear in my brain.
- I’m thankful for the career path that I’ve found. There is always room for growth and there’s always the opportunity to push myself beyond my perceived limits while helping others along the way.
- The drive from La Crosse to Eau Claire is beautiful!!!
- I swear this had to have been the fourth straight day of peak colors on the trees. The brilliant oranges, reds, and golds were mind blowing and caught my attention often.
- Taking a cue from yesterday I took time to appreciate just how comfy my soul felt with the quilt of clouds wrapped all around it this morning. They reminded me of a loose fitting and comfy sweatshirt for the bluffs.
- Last, I am so thankful for each of the mistakes, challenges, and failures I’ve had in my life. Each of them have helped shape me into who I am. Each has led me to today and this moment. Without them I wouldn’t also have the feeling of contentment that I have.
All day long these thoughts and so many more have been going through my head and I’m so thankful for this deep sense of fulfillment. Life is awesome!!!