My mind has been struggling with my blog post all day. It’s funny, in my head I know there’s a deadline looming each day… but it’s one that’s totally set by me and is completely arbitrary. Regardless, there’s this little voice in the back of my head that’s always asking me, “what are you thankful for today?” Quite often it is also, “is this what you’re blogging about later?” Throughout the day my mind focuses back to gratitude for result of writing a blog. For me it’s incredibly therapeutic and keeps gratitude at the front of my brain.
Let’s look at today for instance. What am I thankful for? The following have all popped into my head at one time or another (in no particular order):
- Blogging while sitting on the deck drinking a Miller Lite. Yes, it’s not a great beer, but theres something nostalgic about it for so many reasons.
- Trying to create a new recipe that doesn’t quite work out. Sure, it would’ve been cool for it to be incredible, but it was also great that everyone in the house helped me when I asked for feedback and ideas. Not everything is going to work out, but family will always be there to support and strengthen me.
- Our anniversary is tomorrow and I’ve been thinking much about being married for 18 years. Seriously, how did our relationship become an adult already???
- The short board in the middle of our living room’s hardwood floor. I happened to catch the sun glinting off of it during home church today. When I see that board I still remember the way Dad’s eyes lit up when we were putting the floor in and he saw that piece. “Mikey, we’re going to put that one in the perfect place.” He set it aside and waited until he’d found the perfect spot for it, right in the middle of the floor. Each time I see that specific board I remember my time with him and the lesson he taught me that day. That’s most likely a blog for a different day. 😉
- Cleaning the garage with the boys. Seriously, it just felt good to have the three of us working on different aspects of cleaning it. Now that it’s done it’s even more rewarding!
- Spending time with Becky just chilling while we walk. So peaceful and nothing else in the world exists when we have that time together.
- Getting close to wrapping up a project and having a little extra time to start the next is a great way to spend a few extra minutes.
- Seeing the #EXPRESSingGratitue starting to get legs. I just saw the first third generation gratitude and it made my heart sing.
- Starting a list of all the people I want to thank next week. It’s wild how long the list is getting already! I am so blessed to have so many awesome, loving, and talented people in my life.
- And many, many more…
When I think of all of those amazing things I struggle to choose one. Sometimes I focus on finding a theme to relate most of them back to… which I guess I am still kind of doing in this one.
Days like today are amongst my favorite and happen more often than I deserve. My day has been filled with so much to be thankful for that I struggle to pick one thing. I LOVE days like this and am so thankful for them. When I boil it all down these are the days when I have been most present, most thankful, and have felt most loved.